Saturday 21 September 2013

Reflections

Hi, remember me? So, my weekly blogging in Thailand predictibly didn't make it past week 2. Somewhere between work ("work") and fabulous weekends away, I never really had time to update it. To be honest, I was too busy enjoying myself and trying to make the most of what has been the most incredible experience. However, as it is now my final full day in Thailand (I fly home early tomorrow morning), now is as good a time as any to look back at the last 10 weeks, and my year abroad as a whole, and try to piece together something to take away from it.

WARNING: This post will be very self indulgent and very gap-yah-esque although I will not be saying I "found myself", as I've never been lost (which is more than I can say for my passport....fml).

Looking back at my entire time in Thailand, I am so satisfied with everything and couldn't really have asked for a better experience. I managed to go to most corners of the country which I shall now list (in order cuz I'm ocd like that): Bangkok, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Ko Samet, Pattaya, Ayuttaya, Korat, Ko Phi Phi, and Ko Tao. I always knew I was going to enjoy my weekends away travelling, but what surprised me more than anything was how much I enjoyed teaching.

Those from Spain will know that I wasn't really feelin' the whole teaching thang, and I spent much of my year abroad moaning about the kids, having to get up early, literally feeling sick when I heard the kids running up the stairs screaming at 8.58am on a Monday morning. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT. However my teaching experience at my school was overwhelmingly positive. The children, for the most part, were so polite and genuinely lovely, even though the only English they spoke was "Good morning/afternoon" and "I'm finethankyouandyou". I also really loved the staff at my school and consider some of them good friends who I will keep with me forever. 

I can't stress enough how kind and generous Thai people are. I literally paid for NOTHING during the weeks at school, my mentor bought me everything, be it food or phone credit. They always want to feed you (I am going to miss Thai food a LOT) and just want you to be happy. 

side note: I went out last night and am not feeling 100% right now so this isn't a particularly flow-y piece I'm just writing what I'm thinking as I'm thinking it so if it's a little jarring SOZ please refer to my previous pieces for literary genius xoxo

I'm sitting in my hotel room now, one year and 3 days after I got on a plane to Madrid to start my year abroad. It truly has been a year abroad, as I worked out earlier, in the last 365 days, I have only spent 27 full days on home soil in the UK. When I think to how I was one year ago, I truly feel like I have grown up so much this year. It's cliché I know, but this has been the most defining year of my life so far. I feel so much more confident than I did one year ago, and I feel like I'm becoming the man I'm meant to be, and I think I like him. I wouldn't say that I learned anything about myself that I didn't already know before going away, but it definitely drew a clearer picture for me. 

I'm so proud of myself for everything I've done this year, and living abroad has made me a more rounded person (literally more round after Thailand I've put on OVER A STONE). 

So, my brief foray into the world of blogging is almost over (although I actually quite enjoy writing it I may have to start a permanent one....though as if I'd actually keep up with it), so I'd just like to say to every single person who made my year abroad what it was, THANK YOU. I've made some amazing friends, had the most incredible experiences, and started the (ongoing) transition from boyhood to manhood. And with that, I'm out.

(I told you it was going to be self-indulgent)



No comments:

Post a Comment